I've started my blog about WoW and it grown pretty well. But then WoW started to decline in playerbase and for a reason. I also started to lose interest. Found EVE Online and started writing about that. Lost lot of visitors who couldn't care less of EVE. It took more than a year to replace them with EVE-visitors.
Now I can tell that finally my blog is a successful EVE blog. Let me give a few advices to fellow bloggers:
- Don't be nice! People can watch pretty pictures everywhere. Your only selling point is your unique set of ideas. Tell them proudly.
- Moderate aggressively! To have a useful comment section, "First", "this is awesome", "I wish you die in cancer" has to go, along with derails and 3 pages long essays why the blog author is Hitler.
- You are writing to readers and not commenters! 99% of readers never comment.
- Ignore the "community"! If you are trying to get links from other sites, you will self-censor to impress the other site owners. You don't need links. 90% of my visitors come directly or read from a feed.
- Don't jump on bandwagons! If everyone writes about "how to get newbies to mining" this month, don't! Bloggers find these banthers cute, readers find it boring.
- Work on content, not design! I doubt if your blog is uglier than mine.
- Pre-write posts, give yourself time to think it over again and again!
- Rather be wrong 10x than silent once! Bad ideas make people think. Empty pages not.
- No one cares about your feelings. You are writing to your readers, write something they can apply.
- Be patient! It will take years till you get your own readerbase.