My business activity has the following fields in Cataclysm:
- Selling glyphs: I had large stockpiles of inks and I craft glyphs once a week, filling the glyphseller alts. The only ink I ran out is the BC one. With current herb prices crafting Cataclysm ink and trading in would be a huge loss, so only source of such ink can be random BC herb sellings. The alts post glyphs twice a day (early morning, early evening) for 25/45G. The income so far is 34200G.
- Selling bags: I stockpiled lot of bolts of imbued frostweave and netherweave cloth. The bags sell pretty well for 70 and 11G, giving 10 and 4 G profit. The latter is pathetic and considering the time spent building the stockpiles was a loss. I simply can't quit now, I have to sell the remaining cloth as bags or they will rot in my bank eternally. Income so far: 8400G
- Leveling inscription: I buy materials from the AH and find some during normal play and craft items that give levelups. While I carefully choose items that has price, I'm still at loss. At inscription I stopped after 518 as I don't see any reason losing more gold. I already spent 2K to level high enough to use shoulder enchants. Any further points came from the daily document forging and from futile attempts to sell offhands and relics above material price. The only epics I could craft are darkmoon cards, but looking at the herb and volatile prices, a single card will cost at least 2K gold in materials. Such huge material costs leave little profit margin and in case of competition, high risk of ending up with unsold stuff. So currently I opt out from high level inscription.
- Leveling tailoring: while my losses here during leveling are larger (4K already realized, another 3K material cost stuff is on the AH), I'm much more optimistic about tailoring. I'm currently at slvl 421, will level the last points with cloth transmutation. Dreamcloth being soulbound, the competition is much smaller. I mean while a single scribe can craft infinite amount of darkmoon cards if materials are available, no tailor can mass-produce dreamcloth. I crafted 5 last week, 5 more to come this week. From this I can buy the recipe and craft 2 epic belts or one pair of trousers. I'll try to find buyer on /trade, if it doesn't work, I craft 1-1 belts and place them on the AH.
- Selling whatever I bump into during normal play: greens, volatiles, fish and such. Blizzard is pretty generous with players, I made 6K from all this .
- Leveling Archeology: that seems like a total waste with 0 business relation. But I actually farm keystones. They are either unavailable on the AH or there for ridiculous prices. I sell these keystones to my girlfriend who can level Archeology faster with these. Why? Because she is an alchemist! She has no faith in the stupidity of the people wanting to buy the newest "lol so cool" mount. So I will finance crafting these, buy the materials and pay her pitiful crafting fees. Then sell the dragons for huge profit. Of course that's just the plan, I can't be sure that there will be enough people with money but without common sense.
Maartens found us this specimen: