Greedy Goblin

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Commenting rules

I've been getting more and more comments, just like I've been getting more and more subscribers and visitors to this site. Of course it's good. However it has a negative effect that has to be dealt with: nobody wants to read lot of comments, so important ideas remain unread or even worse, untold because the wannabe commenter knows that nobody will read his #48 comment. So I have to set up some comment deletion rules to prevent comments outgrow manageable sizes.

The comments that I will delete mercilessly:
  1. These are the comments that lack the signs of human intelligence: "First", "Posting in a legendary thread", "lol", "I lolled hard on this", "The cheapest WoW gold and Powerleveling services, don't hesitate m8, try out now!"
  2. Emotion comments that show nothing but the emotional reaction of the commenter, therefore being irrelevant to everyone else: "I really like your blog", "This sux and you eat dick big time". Some troll posts may survive this rule if they have a certain amusement value.
  3. Comments with werry bed gramar or 2 much l33t.
  4. Error corrections that point out broken links or grammar mistakes in the post. I do fix the post, but delete the comment afterward. Such comments are very welcomed but after the fix they are no longer valid, so deleted.
  5. Denial comments that show nothing but the fact that the commenter disagrees. While you are free to disagree, do it alone! Comment only if you have arguments to support your opinion.
  6. Off-topic comments: Anything that has no connection to the original post, like "Could you tell me how can I make money from BS?" or "I'm making 1000G from BS" below a post about making money from LW.
  7. Stories of your own moneymaking success are only welcomed below "My Business" tagged posts.
  8. Philosophical, moral points are only welcomed below "Philosophy" tagged posts.
  9. Link-comments like "I wrote a blog about his, follow this link because I have alot to say" will be handled individually. If the linked post is offtopic, primitive or obviously stupid, the comment goes down. Otherwise stays.
  10. Long comments that has a point but this point could be made in three lines instead of three pages. We all know that long speeches can be boring and we never liked the long speeches that the politicians use to make. Just like we dislike the long and meaningless speeches on a company meeting and those people who just talk and talk and talk when we meet them. So please just don't write too long comments. Especially avoid repetitions since we all know that long speeches can be boring and we never liked the long speeches that the politicians use to make. Just like we dislike the long and meaningless speeches on a company meeting and those people who just talk and talk and talk when we meet them. So please just don't write too long comments. So if you want to write "shut up" please use 2 words, unlike I did now. :-)
The posts will turn un-commentable after 3 days. So you can comment this post today, tomorrow and the next day, but not after that. The existing comments remains visible. This is because I don't have time to cleanse all posts and the longer the post is out, the more bots can find it.

9 comments:

Pangoria Fallstar said...

In the spirit of getting my comment deleted, here we go:

"I've been getting more and more comments, just like I've been getting more and more subscribers and visitors to this site."

"So I have set up some comment deletion rules to keep the comments below at manageable sizes" Actually this one is funny because without the AT you said the opposite of what you meant.

Pangoria Fallstar said...

What about comments that have the topic but saying something like, "I wrote a blog about his, follow this link because I have alot to say"?

Gevlon said...

@Pangoria: yes such comments will be deleted, except this one, as good example.

New rule for "I wrote a blog about his, follow this link because I have alot to say" set.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Even though this will be deleted you are my hero

Juju said...

I agree that all the things you outlined make for terrible, pointless commments. But why would I bother posting if there's a chance you're just going to delete it? It does take time out of my day to formulate an intelligent response. It's not a worthwhile investment of my time to dedicate input to your blog if you're just going to destroy it.

EffroTool said...

@Juju: Perhaps you've already noticed that there are no comments mentioned in 1. Or perhaps I just have never stumbled upon them. So it's not like Gevlon begun moderatin posts from now on. It's been done before already or was it not?

As you've alreay said you going to spend your time to "formulate an intelligent response". I been following this blog for short time but I doubt Gevlon would ever delete such a thing. I think he just wanted to say by this post that if one is going to use his brain to post a comment it's going to be safe (unless it falls under rule 4.).

And just to follow the style of comment here: Did I hit the 10th rule here? So this post is going bye bye?
Post removed. Totalitarianism in it's full power.

Gevlon said...

@Juju: there is always a chance that your comment get deleted, since EVERY blog author has the deletion tool. I could delete posts without anyone noticing (and I've always did with type 0 comments)

However I'm interested in having intelligent comments on my blog, since people like intelligent conversation so I would harm myself if I'd delete such.

Anonymous said...

Read your own god damn rules. If you followed those for your own posts, half of the articles would needed to be deleted.

Anonymous said...

Hey mate im GM of the guild that took you along, one of our members stumbled across this, just want to say it was a pleasure to have you in the raids :)

HB