Greedy Goblin

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Don't insult goldsellers!

As I use to, when a damn goldseller whispered me to buy his cheated gold, I whispered back that I have more than him and insults.

Just later realized that I'm doing something funny but really stupid. The gold they are selling is not only coming from farmbots, but also from hacked accounts. So I gave him two reasons to try to hack mine: because I have lot of gold and to avenge my insults.

I run virus and spyware scans daily, have NoScript addon over Firefox and have a router between my computer and the internet plug in the wall. I change password regulary and have a Blizzard Authenticator.

Still I don't think it was a good idea to tell the damn goldseller where the golden pot is. Don't do it! If these vermin whispers you, just /ignore them, don't write them anything, no insults and especially don't tell them how much money you have! Just to be safe.

And for the love of Elune, don't share your account with anyone! Not with your best friend, not with your special one, not with your mother, not with your savior-who-just-descended-from-the-sky! Of course you can trust that he will not steal from you. But you cannot trust that he will be careful enough not to make some stupid mistake and let your account information get into bad hands. 83% of the computer system intrusions are performed not by system hack but social engineering (fooling the user).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the best thing to do just ignore them it's something I do. Mainly because I don't want to be on their target list.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, hacked accounts generally come from some stupid behavior on the part of the account owner, and insulting people is not one of them.

Unless someone is gaining access to Blizzard's systems, there isn't much that a gold seller can do to retaliate unless you give him some opportunity to gain access to your computer. (Visiting dubious sites, etc.)

The point is that it's your action, not the gold seller's, that puts you at risk. Even if your account gets hacked because you made yourself vulnerable, I think your victim turning out to be the hacker would be coincidental.